HANG TIEN 1-DAY DISCOVERY
|The majestic cave known as Hang Tien, or “Fairy Cave”, has previously only been accessible on the Tu Lan Expedition. It is now showcased as the star of our 1 day tour.
This tour is designed for those with just a day to explore the wild but still looking for an escape to the jungle along with adventure and of course, a beautiful cave.
Enter into Hang Tien where you’ll be taken away by the swirling patterns of limestone and rock. Rimstone pools, known as gours, also greet you at the entrance. You’ll explore different passages of this river cave and be in awe of its massive ceiling and formations.
The Hang Tien 1-Day Discovery is suitable for both true adventurers and also those with limited outdoor experience. Come check out our longest day tour, and the newest product of the season!
Note: Unexpected changes on itinerary might happen due to the weather conditions.
|Duration: 1 Day (10 – 12 hours)
Adventure Level: Moderate for
physically active guests (8 km)
Availability: Every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday
(operates only from December to mid-September)
Group size: 2 – 12 pax
(minimum requirement of 2 persons to operate)
Minimum Age: 16 years old
Tour Starts: 07:00 am – 07:30 am from any local hotel in Phong Nha
Tour Ends: 7:00 pm – 7:30 pm at any local hotel in Phong Nha
Pick up will take place from 7:00 – 7:30 am from your local hotel in Phong Nha. From there the tour will head an hour and a half to Tan Hoa office, located 70 km from Phong Nha. The drive is beautiful, passing alongside jungle, fields and over the historic Da Deo pass. During the drive, you’ll also listen to a safety briefing led by your experienced tour guide.
Arrive at the office around 9:00 am where you’ll sign your Release Form, and collect equipment such as jungle boots, water bottles, lights, helmets, etc. You can leave your extra luggage at our office in the storage room.
At around 9:30 am, the group will take a drive over to the drop off point and start at the trailhead by 10:00 am. The trek begins with a hike through the forest over a hill. The last kilometer before the cave is very rocky with many boulders, as if the cave terrain has spilled out onto the landscape in front of it. You’ll enjoy a BBQ feast, including fresh pork and traditional spring roll wraps (vegetarian option available) before enter the spectacular cave. Around 12:30, you’ll start your exploration of the cave.
With formations rising up like a layer cake of rimstone pools and lush ferns, this cave is truly a unique specimen. As you explore, you’ll reach a small skylight in the cave, created from a shaft which spills sunlight from the cave’s entrance. Beyond the skylight will be a ladder leading to the second section of the cave. You’ll venture through this next section of the cave, known as the high chamber. The exit of the cave lies just ahead – you have conquered Hang Tien!
You’ll make your way back, and get a chance to take a dip in the natural jungle pool you passed on the way in. You’ll have time for a coffee, a quick swim, and to take some photos before making your return journey.
You will be collected at the pickup point and head back to Tan Hoa. A shower awaits you at the office before the van ride back to Phong Nha at 6:00 pm. The tour will finish around 7:30 pm in Phong Nha.
We will provide you with the following:
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Water and picnic lunch
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter to prepare meals and pump water
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat at lunch site
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Dry box is prepared in case of high water level
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store any luggage you will not be taking on the trek
Please also bring with you the following:
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirts to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary
- 1 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks)
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries